Lesbian News Aotearoa
Lesbian News Aotearoa's Social, Support and Dyke Diary pages have information and contact details for lesbian groups, activities and events throughout the country.
Topp Twins at World Buskers Festival
18 - 21 January, Buskers Club at Christ's College
The Topp Twins are giving four shows at the annual Buskers Festival in Christchurch. More info and booking at the Festival website
Melissa Etheridge & Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow and Melissa Etheridge, will perform in a double headlining tour in April 2018. Tickets on will go on sale 12pm, Monday 18 December through Ticketek and Ticketmaster.
Pot Luck webseries Season two
Auckland Pride 2-18 February 2018
The full festival line-up available online from mid-December on aucklandpride.org.nz.
Major events include the Auckland Pride Gala, Ending HIV Big Gay Out, Auckland Pride Parade, PROUD Party, Same Same But Different Writer’s Festival, Heroic Garden Festival, and Courtney Act: Under the Covers.
Women's Music 80's Reunion Concert
Friday 9 February, 7:30pm @ Dorothy Winstone Theatre, AGGS
Diva Productions & Friends are proud to present a special, never-to-be-repeated concert celebrating the NZ women who created music and contributed to the soundtrack of our lives in the 1980s. Featuring the Topp Twins, Hilary King, Red Beryl, Jess Hawk Oakenshaw (USA), Di McMillan, Gloria Hildred, Elasitc Band, Charlotte Yates, Deb Frame, Teresa Trull (USA) ... and many more. More info and booking at eventfinda
Wellington Pride Festival 24 February - 10 March 2018
The major events will be: Out in the Park - the Fair on Saturday 24 February, Out in the Park Afterparty Saturday 24 February, and the Youth Ball Saturday 3 March. There will also be events organised by local queer groups - keep an eye on the Pride website wellingtonpridefestival.org.nz and the facebook page.
Wellington International Pride Parade Saturday 10 March 2018
- Charlotte Museum of lesbian culture, a lesbian museum for New Zealand ... like their facebook page to keep up to date with their events and special exhibitions
- Rainbow Women's social night - last Wednesday of the month at the Auckland Women's Centre
- Her Sunday Feels - a monthly chilled-out free event > Sunday day-into-night-session for queer women and their friends
- Lesbian League - social group with a range of activities
- lesbian.co.nz - a directory and more
- aLBa (formerly Auckland Lesbian Business Association) on facebook
- Auckland dykes on facebook
- EquAsian - an LGBTQI+ group for Asian Aucklanders
- Birds of a Feather lesbian coffee group in Whangarei - facebook group
- LSG - Waikato's Social Group for Lesbians and on facebook.
- Waikato/Bay of Plenty Bisexual/Lesbian Women’s Group
- Bay of Plenty dykes on facebook
- Sapphic Table - Meetup group for Tauranga/Bay women who enjoy good, food and conversation in the company of other lesbian/takatāpui women
- Deco Divas - Hawke's Bay
- Wanganui's own 'Flock of Lesbians' - Regular meetings for coffee, activities, support, ideas sharing, and a laugh email: email email@example.com and join in the loop. Lesbians visiting Wanganui welcome to email and we'll meet for coffee.
- Ms Q Manawatu meets the first Friday of every month for drinks.
Are you interested in being involved in the womens LBGT community? For more information and confidential support they offer a 24 hour phone line 022 451 6617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wellington Lesbian website - calender of activities and links to other local websites
- LILAC - the lesbian library in Wellington
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians - a Wellington region charitable trust
- Christchurch lesbians - information on the Women's Centre website
- Nelson/Tasman area
- Dunedin list on Lesbian News Aotearoa social page
- Beso Queenstown - a monthly LGBT party - on facebook
Social media places
A selection of the facebook groups that may be of interest:
- New Zealand lesbian and bisexual
- NZ lesbians social group - check their events for local meetups ... or set up a brunch lunch whatever ...
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women - plus there are other regional groups
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
Kiwi media online
He Kākano Ahau – From The Spaces In Between
A short film about a courageous takatāpui activist is fighting for true diversity
in our Gay Pride celebrations.
New Zealand’s Pride celebrations are glitzy and glamorous, but takatāpui activist Kassie (Ngāti Raukawa ki te Tonga) is challenging the inclusivity of the festival. The historic Wellington Pride celebration forces Kassie to make a decision. Will she take part and speak for those who are both queer and Māori?
This short documentary uses English and te reo Māori to tell an intensely personal story of a courageous wahine fighting to be heard. View it at loadingdocs.net/he-kakano-ahau/.
NZ Lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull available to view for free online
The NZ lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull has been released to view for free online. It was shown during the 2015 NZ International Film Festival, and film maker Tim Worrall was interviewed for GayNZ.com by Jacqui Stanford. Subsequent to Jacqui's article the film has been screened at a number of prestigious LGBTQ festivals internationally including: Framline40, The Iris Prize, Inside Out, Outfest, as well as the Side by Side LGBT film festival in Leningrad, Russia.
PrideNZ audio archive
PrideNZ.com is a community website exploring the voices and opinions of Aotearoa New Zealand's rainbow communities through over 600 audio recordings of interviews and of local LGBTI events. Plus there are transcripts, images and video available - some historically important such as Parliamentay debates. More recordings are added regularly.
Two booklets by Elizabeth Kerekere are available to read online and to download -
Support Kiwi groups supporting LGBTIQ youth
Let's support the groups and organisations that support the youth in our communities - they are always short of $$$ for their valuable work. Most are registered charities and have Donate pages on their websites.
- InsideOUT is a Wellington-based national organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of diverse genders and sexualities to live and be in.
- Im Local - a project of Rainbow Youth that helps queer and gender diverse youth all over the country to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They focus on getting information into smaller centres and rural areas. I'm Local has a give a little we can support.
- Rainbow Youth - Auckland based group that initiates and supports projects nationwide including InsideOUT and Im Local.
- OUTLineNZ provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). For all ages and an important service. They have a givealittle page.
- Naming New Zealand is an organisation to help transgender, gender diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender.
- TRANZform is a support group for youth who identify as transgender, fa'afafine, whakawahine, tangata ira tane, intersex, two-spirits, genderqueer, non-gendered, questioning and their allies.
Helplines and support
- OUTline provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). Counselling by skype available by arrangement.
- I'm Local is a project to support queer and gender diverse youth all over Aotearoa. Their website is chock-a-block full of info about the a-z of being queer & gender diverse, plus a region-by-region map of all the queer and gender diverse support groups for young people.
- breakingboundaries.org.nz - a safe community chat forum for GLBTI and questioning youth.
- Rainbow Youth - an Auckland based organisation that provides support, information and advocacy and education for queer young people and their families. They have released an accessible educational resource which can be viewed online or downloaded.
- Intersex Youth Aotearoa - a place to share information, find support and network.
- Hohou Te Rongo Kahukura - Outing Violence - dedicated to building Rainbow communities in Aotearoa New Zealand free of partner and sexual violence.
- Voicing Pride - a storytelling platform that gives a voice to the unheard members of LGBTQ+ communities across all New Zealand secondary schools
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity FAQs - NZ Human Rights Commission
Quality care for lesbian, gay and bisexual residents in aged care facilities
A kit created by the School of Nursing at The University of Auckland in collaboration with a working
group drawn from the aged care sector and the Auckland LGB community is available at dropbox. It a
short video, training workbooks for facilitators and participants, and guidelines on caring for LGB residents.
See also the Silver Rainbow faceboook group.
GayNZ.com is no more
At midnight on May 31, 2017 GayNZ.com retired. After sixteen years of linking, reflecting, entertaining and informing New Zealand's glbti communities their THREE core volunteers decided it was time to relinquish this role. Their entire archive of over 18,000 news stories and features have been captured by LAGANZ, the Lesbian And Gay Archives of New Zealand, and they will make it accessible at some stage.
In the meantime a lot of the content is accessible. The National Library's web archiving team have harvested snapshots of the full website twice a year from October 2008 with the final harvest in April 2017. Our index of the harvests has links to each version in the National Library's digital archive.
The website was also harvested frequently by the Wayback Machine.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or just a holiday
Women travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.
Web space to go
Free webspace available for Absolutely Positively Lesbian! groups - a page or a wee website xxxxx.lesbian.net.nz - email email@example.com.